Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Is it better to be an MBA or a Nurse Practitioner? Would I be unemployed with an MBA

Is it better to be an MBA or a Nurse Practitioner? Would I be unemployed with an MBA?
I am in such an odd situation. I came here in the US from Italy to get a degree in International Business (Spanish, and I speak Italian) and then aim for an MBA. I love real estate, I have a real estate license in Italy and I also have a real estate website that I manage as my hobby (OutRent.com) Now that I am a sophomore, a friend from Chicago told me I should aim on getting a degree in Nursing and then become a Nurse Practitioner because they are highly demanded and their starting income may be much higher than an MBA's. On the other hand, when I told that to my father he said I don't have the guts to see blood and neither a needle, and therefore he would not even pay for my education in Nursing and he would rather see me working as a farmer rather than dealing with other people's blood. On the other hand, he would pay all the tuition for Business school until I achieve my MBA. I also have to say that I am going to get an MBA at the University of Texas at Arlington, or maybe at UT-Austin. So what do you think it is best for me? Am I going to be unemployed after getting an MBA?
Higher Education (University +) - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
go for the MBA.. you are going to be employed + start your own business professionally.. and you will save your money which mean you can invest it rather than paying university fees.. your dad is going to pay them :-) happy u.. i paid my MBA program fees
2 :
American MBAs are still very in demand in Europe, and you should NOT do a nursing program if you can't stand blood! Your friend is giving you bad advice. However, most programs (MBA) require that you work for 2-5 years before applying to the MBA school. So you would have to work possibly back in Italy after your UG degree. Perhaps if you also major in international affairs (UTA has a great school), you could get a job in Italian and or Latin American banks for a few years. But don't forget a good MBA requires the work experience--not so much needed in Europe but that's why most American schools are considered better. You get more out of the program, and you contribute more when you've worked for awhile. A classmate of mine from Italy got offers at P&G Italia and at Barilla, and she chose Barilla in marketing.
3 :
Get the MBA. You will make enough to live on. Then go for the Nursing degree. Nurses are in high demand and you will have something to fall back on (if when) the MBA doesn't work out.
4 :
Maybe not unemployed but, finding a job right now is not an easy thing, even for an MBA. The excuse being that you will be too qualified. Nurses, however, are in very high demand and make excellent money. Jobs are always available and you can choose where you want to go most of the time.
5 :
I wouldn't waste my time with the Arlington MBA but UT Austin isn't bad, especially if you plan to stay in Texas.


Read more discussion :