Tuesday, April 7, 2009

can a home be taken if government has taken all other money for nursing home

can a home be taken if government has taken all other money for nursing home?
Hi , My family's in a little pinch right now. My grandparents came from italy when they were 18. they have worked hard for everything they have! my Grandmother has just got ill and can not walk ,talk, or hardly move by herself. My pop pop sold his home about 3 yrs ago, and stuck all the money in the bank. he also owns another property down the shore. Now my mom mom is in a nursing home, the government will take all of there money in there account and when that is up can they take the shore house my pop pop lives in? or if he dies then they can take it? how can my family make sure this shore house stays in the family. My pop pop really wants this house to be past down to us , he worked so hard for it. my father said its they talk to a lawer and the lawer said its to late for the property to be sighned over. it should have been done 5 yrs ago she can not come home, she will not be able to. she needs 24hr help thank u everyone for ur concern. we are in pa and the property is in nj. The property is in both names. my father wants to by it bc its not about how much its worth i grew up there is a setamental thing. But i think if my grandfather sells it to my dad for less money then its worth they can go after my fater??
Law & Ethics - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
This isn't as hard as it seems. Have your Grandfather sign the property over to whomever now. Once this is done the property stays in the family and cannot be touched by anyone. Have your Grandfather consult with a real estate attorney on exactly what needs to transpire for this to occur. And sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Here's hoping she rests comfortably and hopefully improves. ADDED NOTE: why did the atty say it had to be signed over 5 years ago? That makes absolutely no sense at all as property, to the best of my knowledge, can be signed over at any time. Have your Grandfather check with another attorney on this issue for I think he was not told the truth.
2 :
Yes they can. Get the house signed over ASAP to a trusted family member. Also set up a bank account with another trusted family member and keep all of the money in there. It is the only way to keep the money in the family. Also, make sure these are trusted family member/s. Believe me I know from bitter experience how money can change someone.
3 :
They did this, to my Mother but she was single. You need to talk with a Probate Atty A.S.A.P, to try to avoid this sort of thing from happening. It could be possible that they would come after your dad for the Nursing Home expenses not covered. If the atty says they can, I think I'd be taking her back out of that Nursing Home & tending to her at home; at least until you can do whatever you need to do to stop this from happening if she had to go back in, permanently. All you kids could set up a schedule as to who will go in every day; take turns. Don't waste any time, with all this, if you want to avoid this from happening.
4 :
If the property is in his name and he's living there, then they can't take it, and I think that lawyer is wrong as if it's his property, then he can leave it in his will. You don't say what country you are in, but I think this is the same in most countries. Hope this eases your pain a little, and I do hope your mom mom gets well, good luck.



Read more discussion :