Friday, December 14, 2012

First steps to moving out. Help

I'm 21, and I'm currently in my first year of Psych. I plan on getting my Master's & more than likely my PhD down the road. I've only got two classes right now; I had to drop the other 3 when I switched from Bio to Psych. I'm not receiving any sort of financial aid -- I'm paying for my education completely by myself. At the end of the school year, I'll be going to Italy to stand in my brother's wedding as his fiancée's bridesmaid. I need quite a lot more money saved up for then. I've never lived on my own, but I am very independent. I don't own a car, but I don't mind taking the bus. My university is in my hometown, but I don't want to live on residence. When I was in Bio, the workload was very intense and I assumed I wouldn't be able to juggle school and a job so I quit my job. Now I'm looking for a new job which shouldn't be too hard to find, but the only flexible, reliable ones seem to be minimum wage ones. I'm looking to get a job at a nursing home that pays $20/h (I DO enjoy the company of elderly people so it's not a problem). Just how flexible can I expect it to be around my school schedule? And is it manageable to live on my own (or with a roommate), paying for school on my own, with a full-time, minimum-wage job? I'm just trying to give you a basic outline of my current lifestyle. What initial steps should I take? Do's and dont's? Pros and cons? Anything will be useful. Thank you!
Family - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I lived on my own, went to school full time and worked, all while raising a child on my own as well so it is doable. But it was really really hard, I think it would be easier with a roommate, and also why don't you get financial aid? There are all kinds of programs that can help you, we got food stamps and even found a program that paid our phone bill and part of our electricity bill. So even if you have to take a minimum wage job for the flexibility you should still be able to do it. It will probably be fun. Good luck!


Read more discussion :