Thursday, July 28, 2011

Just got tested posotive for TB, born outside the USA...now what

Just got tested posotive for TB, born outside the USA...now what?
I just left the health division a couple hours ago, my job required me to get a TB Test and that is was something simple and nothing to worry about. 1 out of 2 isn't bad, considering i was tested POSITIVE. Anyways, i was born in Baghdad, Iraq. My parents and I left the country when i was 3 MONTHS old, we went to Italy for another 6 MONTHS. I have been told that i should have received a BCG shot in Iraq but i argue that i was too young to get it (not sure if I'm right or wrong) Well my main thing is... what happens now? i dont have any symptoms of it and my job is a translator (i go to peoples homes with doctors,nurses, and other medical people) Please help, i know this is not a very straightforward question, anything that helps me understand the complexity of the issue more would be great! Thank you.
Infectious Diseases - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you are indeed positive for TB, the next step is a chest X-ray to be sure that the bacteria is not active and causing damage to your lungs. TB establishes a life-long infection, but ninety percent of people infected with TB never develop any disease over their lifetimes. In these individuals, the bacteria remains alive but is not active. The bacteria reactivates in response to weakened immunity like that seen with AIDS or old age. You should try to find out for sure whether you had the BCG vaccine or if you are indeed infected with TB. If it were me, I would want to know.
2 :
It is going to be OK. I live in Canada, one of my friends had a positive tb test and continued to work as a nurse. You are not contagious of TB unless you have active pulmonary infection. If you had that you would be symptomatic with a cough, I am sure whoever conducted the test would have noticed. The next steps will be possible the second tb skin test, then they will do a chest xray and sputum sample. If, after these diagnostic tests, you are found to be colonized with tb, you will be starte on antibiotics for 6-9mos. This will ensure that you are free of the bacteria so it will not be able to become an active infection later in your life. Be aware that the BCG vaccine may provide false positve results, but only for a liminted number of years (10-15 years max). SO if you received this vaccine as an infant and are over 15 years old, the positive result is not related to the vaccine


Read more discussion :