Saturday, May 1, 2010

can the government take a home that is paid off and someone is living in

can the government take a home that is paid off and someone is living in?
Hi , My family's in a little pinch right now. My grandparents came from italy when they were 18. they have worked hard for everything they have! my Grandmother has just got ill and can not walk ,talk, or hardly move by herself. My pop pop sold his home about 3 yrs ago, and stuck all the money in the bank. he also owns another property down the shore. Now my mom mom is in a nursing home, the government will take all of there money in there account and when that is up can they take the shore house my pop pop lives in? or if he dies then they can take it? how can my family make sure this shore house stays in the family. My pop pop really wants this house to be past down to us , he worked so hard for it. yes they will go throw all his money b4 they try to take is shore home b/c she is in a nursing home she could be on medicare b/c my grandfather owned his own company for yrs and has to pay 4 his own insurance
Renting & Real Estate - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I think I'm missing something. Why is the government going to take all of their money?
2 :
You should consult an atorney with real estate and estate planning experience. I think he can do pop pop's request.
3 :
Ar you talking about paying for mom-mom's nursing home care, i.e. Medicaid not covering it because pop-pop has too many assets? I would suggest consulting with a lawyer specializing in elder law.
4 :
Yes, the government can take the house if the person is accepting Medicaid. why should the State have to pay for their medical bills, when they have an asset, such as a house? it is cruel, but this happens all the time.
5 :
It's possible that your grandmother is on medicare and there is a stipulation that once her medicare money runs out paying for the institution she is in, they can then take assests. I don't know if they can take the house your grandfather still lives in while he is alive. I would call the number on the medicare card or go to the website for more information regarding payment. I wish you and your family the best of luck.


Read more discussion :